Staff Nurse - ICU
2 – 5 years
- Demonstrates problem solving/critical thinking skills ensuring effective functioning of unit routine.
- Collaborates with multi-disciplinary team to provide patient care.
- Demonstrates organizational skills as team leader/in-charge nurse as required.
- Participates in staff meetings and unit committees/projects.
- Demonstrates cooperation, coordination and respect among individuals/departments in order to provide excellent customer service (internal and external).
- Participates in developing and achieving unit goals.
- Performs additional duties when required.
- Demonstrates skills in continual critical care assessment of patient, family’s physical and psychological needs.
- Demonstrates skill in co-ordination and planning of critical care/clinical pathway, and prioritizing care, based on individual needs. Revises care plan as necessary.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and the ability to render care and services based on needs, age appropriateness and developmental stage of patients.
- Performs nursing interventions/procedures in accordance with established standards of care and policy and procedures.
- Assists medical colleagues with diagnostic therapeutic interventions.
- Maintains accurate and thorough documentation following established standards.
- Floats to other areas within the hospital when required.
- Shares knowledge and skills with colleagues and others.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff.
- Demonstrates knowledge and clinical expertise of Infection Control issues, reports and documents as directed in the Infection Control policies and procedures.
- As Registered Nurse understands the responsibilities of safe handling, drawing, administrating Narcotic/Controlled Drugs and documentation as directed by policies and procedures.
- Maintains commitment to professional development of self through completion of unit competencies i.e. pain management, utilization of auto-transfusion devices.
- Maintains clinical and professional competency based on the latest research and established standards of practice. Completes yearly, the critical care nursing competencies (basic). Shows a willingness to work towards completion of intermediate and advanced practice competencies
- Actively participates in unit-based CQI activities (data collection, CQI teams, etc.).
- Serves if required on hospital wide CQI teams / committees / task forces.
- Actively participates in Continuous Quality Improvement Plan by using incident reporting, customer complaint reporting and medication error reporting.
- Assesses education needs and provides effective and age appropriate education to patients/families.
- Participates in ongoing educational activities.
- Maintains mandatory educational requirements.
- Contributes to professional development of colleagues.
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing (duration not less than three years) or
- Diploma in Nursing (not less than three academic years in nursing only) or
- Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery (not less than three academic years) graduated from 1998 onward with pre medical secondary school certificate or its equivalent.
- Current license to practice nursing
- BCLS certification
- ACLS certification to be achieved within 6 months of employment.
- At least 2 years’ experience in critical care nursing
Jobs from similar sector